In the heart of the Kalsa neighborhood, an area rich with imposing aristocratic structures, stands one of the most important mansions in Sicily: Palazzo Gangi; the credit of which its present fame must be given to its inestimable artistic value. During the second half of the 18th century a sort of contest broke out amongst the prominent members of Palermo’s aristocracy. After the earthquake of 1751 when construction was at an all time high simply in order to cope with the damage, there became a quasi race to rebuild in the most ostentatious and magnificent style possible. Palazzo Gangi is a remaining example of this phenomenon. Its Galleria degli Specchi (Hall of Mirrors) is considered a masterpiece of the Sicilian baroque, located beneath a spectacular double perforated ceiling whose ideation is most likely in reference to Gigante.